After finishing the Swallowtail, a good girl would pull out an old UFO and get to work on it. Well, I don't know that girl.
I'd been looking at Brandywine for several weeks. The designer is donating 75% of the pattern proceeds to Haitian relief. The shawl has clean, geometric lines which always appeal to me. I downloaded the pattern and pulled out some stash yarn (yay for me!). I had maybe 5 or 6 hours into it, before I realized that there was an error in it. Big, ugly error. The kind of error that instantly sucked out any enthusiasm I had for the project.
I had to set it aside for a day or two before I acknowledged I had to frog it. Once that was done, it was about 3-4 hours of work to get it back to where it was. I'm now at about 13 of 21 total repeats, but still less than half of the knitting. I love the tipped edges, knit as you go. This will probably go into the annual raffle prizes at holiday potluck at work.
Taking a brief break from the shawl, I started a Sweet Eleanor cap. The designer for this pattern is donating all pattern proceeds to a medical fund for a family she knows whose daughter is seriously ill. This is a great pattern, and I loved the cables and the way the decreases turn into a lovely star configuration on the top. I had one of those cable challenges, and I was grateful that it wasn't lace, because it was fairly easy to frog 12 stitches 6 rows down and redo the cable twist correctly. You don't always have that option with lace.