Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Small FO - a sign of spring

After finishing the Swallowtail, a good girl would pull out an old UFO and get to work on it.  Well, I don't know that girl.

I'd been looking at Brandywine for several weeks.  The designer is donating 75% of the pattern proceeds to Haitian relief.  The shawl has clean, geometric lines which always appeal to me. I downloaded the pattern and pulled out some stash yarn (yay for me!).  I had maybe 5 or 6 hours into it, before I realized that there was an error in it.  Big, ugly error.  The kind of error that instantly sucked out any enthusiasm I had for the project.

I had to set it aside for a day or two before I acknowledged I had to frog it.  Once that was done, it was about 3-4 hours of work to get it back to where it was.  I'm now at about 13 of 21 total repeats, but still less than half of the knitting.  I love the tipped edges, knit as you go. This will probably go into the annual raffle prizes at holiday potluck at work.
 Taking a brief break from the shawl, I started a Sweet Eleanor cap.  The designer for this pattern is donating all pattern proceeds to a medical fund for a family she knows whose daughter is seriously ill.  This is a great pattern, and I loved the cables and the way the decreases turn into a lovely star configuration on the top.  I had one of those cable challenges, and I was grateful that it wasn't lace, because it was fairly easy to frog 12 stitches 6 rows down and redo the cable twist correctly.  You don't always have that option with lace.


No comments: